Southeast Missouri State University student publication

Southeast soccer player hospitalized after scooter accident

Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Senior defender Meg Herndon, right, takes on a St. Louis University player during a game on Aug. 19. Photo by Nathan Hamilton

Southeast Missouri State University soccer player Meg Herndon was not responding to family or friends Monday evening after she was involved in an accident while driving her scooter near campus Sunday afternoon.

"No significant change with Meg, she is still fighting, she is not responsive to anything or any of us," an update posted on at 10:15 a.m. Monday said. "Brain swelling is still present but not inceased (sic) at this time, she is getting continual support from medications to help her blood pressure and heart rate. She is being monitored constantly. Please keep the prayers going."

The post was signed by Cindi. Herndon's mother's name is Cindi.

The update was posted on a Caring Bridge website created in Herndon's name. Caring Bridge is an organization that allows people to create web pages on which they post health condition updates.

Herndon was listed in critical condition at 5:57 p.m. Monday, according to her bedside nurse at Barnes-Jewish hospital in St. Louis.

The Southeast Missourian was the first to report the accident, which occurred at the intersection of Sprigg Street and Normal Avenue. The scooter Herndon was driving collided with a full-size four-by-four pick-up truck.

Herndon was airlifted to Barnes-Jewish hospital in St. Louis. A hospital official confirmed that Herndon is a patient there at 10:22 p.m. Sunday, but could not confirm her status. At 11:40 p.m. an official said that Herndon was in an operating room, but no details of the operation were available.

Herndon, a senior, was driving southbound on Sprigg Street and the truck was northbound and turning onto Normal Avenue, according to the Southeast Missourian's report.

A spokesperson from the Cape Girardeau police department declined to offer additional details before the Arrow's print deadline on Monday. He said no additional information would be given until the official report on the accident was finished, but did not specify when that would be.

News of the accident quickly spread across campus and through other athletic organizations on Sunday.

Herndon's teammate Ali Bauer posted a picture of the Southeast soccer team on Herndon's Facebook page with the caption, "Praying for you!!"

Teammate Breck Robinson posted on Twitter, "All thoughts and prayers go out to our teammate Meg. Life is fragile but you're a fighter we love you!"

Herndon played 73 minutes in Southeast's 4-0 loss to Nebraska on Saturday in Lincoln, Neb.

She has started all seven games this year and has played in 55 games during her career at Southeast.

Southeast sports information director Jeff Honza said that the Redhawks will play Evansville at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Houck Stadium as scheduled.

"The Southeast Missouri State University campus community was saddened to learn of the serious vehicular accident that occurred Sunday afternoon near the campus," Southeast director of athletics Mark Alnutt said in the university's first official statement on the accident Monday afternoon. "The accident involved Meg Herndon, a Southeast student athlete who is a member of the women's soccer team. I had the opportunity to visit with the student's family at the hospital this afternoon. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the student and her family at this time, and we wish her a full and complete recovery."

Herndon's aunt Mellisia Kelton is selling 200 black and red rubber bracelets that have "PRAY4MEG" on them.

They cost $2 and can be ordered by contacting Kelton at The money will go to the Herndon family.

This is an ongoing story. Regular updates can be found at