Southeast Missouri State University student publication

Southeast soccer team plays first game since teammate's death

Wednesday, September 26, 2012
Southeast's mid-fielder Sarah Uptmor steals the ball from UT Martin's defender Amy Maksimowicz during the second half of Tuesday Oct. 25, 2012 game at Houck Stadium.

The Southeast Missouri State University soccer team opened its Ohio Valley Conference season against defending OVC tournament champion UT Martin Tuesday night at Houck Stadium.

The game ended in a 1-1 tie after two scoreless 10-minute overtimes.

"We shouldn't be down on ourselves," senior forward Courtney Luehman said. "We worked hard, gave everything we had and we played well so that's all we can ask for."

Luehman scored the Redhawks' only goal of the game off a corner kick in the second minute of play. Junior forward Jacey Boyko crossed the ball into the box and Luehman placed the ball into the back of the net.

Southeast had another opportunity to score in the first half after Boyko was taken down in the box and awarded a penalty kick, but UT Martin goalkeeper Mariah Klenke saved the shot.

"We played against some very good teams to prepare for OVC play," Southeast coach Heather Nelson said. "We took some of those plays that they ran on us, but the team was also extremely focused. The players really came together as a team and performed well tonight."

UT Martin tied the game in the 33rd minute. Senior goalkeeper Renee Kertz came out to make the save, but was unable to get to the ball before UT Martin's Kendyl Wilson, who placed the ball in the far side of the net. Kertz made a career-high 12 saves in the game.

The Redhawks have a record of 1-6-3 and are 0-0-1 in the OVC.

Tuesday night's game was the team's first game since the death of senior defender Meg Herndon.

"It was tough to come out and play, but we all pulled together," sophomore midfielder Taylor Byrd said.

There will be a memorial service in honor of Herndon at 7 p.m. Thursday at Houck Stadium. Her mother, Cindi Herndon, will speak at the event.

Southeast's next game will be against Murray State at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Houck Stadium.

There will be additional coverage on the team's return to the field in the Oct. 3 print edition of the Arrow.