- Le Lounge opening in downtown Cape, to include live music and bar (4/25/22)
- Board of Governors moves to approve curriculum changes; discusses Houck stadium design and Honors House relocation (5/13/22)
- Street photographer Ryan LaRose beautifies downtown Cape Girardeau one TikTok at a time (4/25/22)
- The Hard Reality of Competitive Cheer (5/9/22)
- The Re-Download: Behind the vicious cycle of deleting and redownloading dating apps (5/4/22)
Southeast's softball team splits Saturday and Sunday
Southeast Missouri State's softball team competed in four games last weekend, April 22 and 23. The team played a doubleheader against Morehead State, splitting on Saturday.
The Redhawks lost game one, 6-2, and won the nightcap, 6-5.
Freshman center-fielder Rachel Anderson hit a three-run walk-off home run off the scoreboard in right field to end the second game.
Brooke Rheinecker stole third base and the Redhawks had two runners in scoring position before Anderson belted her game-winner. Anderson was 1-for-5 at the plate before launching her team-high fifth home run to right field. It was Southeast's first walk-off home run this season.
On Sunday, Southeast split yet again with Eastern Kentucky University. Junior pitcher Madeline Krumrey led the Redhawks to a game-one win, 2-1.
Krumrey threw six scoreless frames and allowed only one run in the first inning. She has improved to 11-8 this season and threw her team-high eighth complete game. She also struck out three. The team later lost game two, 2-0.
Freshman pitcher Alexis Estes had a strong pitching performance in game two, matching a season-high eight strikeouts in seven innings.
In game two, EKU pitcher Mollie Paulick allowed just three hits and struck out three in a complete game shutout.
For the rest of the season, Southeast is working to earn a spot in the Ohio Valley Conference post-season tournament. To do so, they need to win the next six OVC games.
The team competes next against Saint Louis University at 4 p.m. Wednesday, April 25, at the Southeast Softball Complex.