- Le Lounge opening in downtown Cape, to include live music and bar (4/25/22)
- Board of Governors moves to approve curriculum changes; discusses Houck stadium design and Honors House relocation (5/13/22)
- Street photographer Ryan LaRose beautifies downtown Cape Girardeau one TikTok at a time (4/25/22)
- The Re-Download: Behind the vicious cycle of deleting and redownloading dating apps (5/4/22)
- Underage users on Grindr: The importance of community for LGBTQ+ youth (5/4/22)
SGA reviews plans to dive into the student perspective
Student Government Association (SGA) discussed student comment boxes and elected a new senator at its meeting Monday, Sept. 30.
Student Issues Committee Chairman Justin Tuschhoff strives to gather student comments, questions and concerns at Southeast. The comment boxes are helpful in gathering unfiltered perspectives.
A student comment box now sits on the third floor of the University Center. Students are able to share their ideas and concerns with the committee by simply leaving a note in the box anonymously.
The comment box was first implemented during the 2018-19 academic year. Tuschhoff said keeping up with student concerns is a pressing issue.
“The goal of the student comment box is to make sure student government is addressing the issues that our constituents are most worried about,” Tuschhoff said.
He explained most students are confused by recycling on campus. With the help of the Special Projects Committee, Tucschoff said students will soon have an answer on where and how they can recycle at Southeast.
Tuschhoff hopes to hold open forums where students can share their perspectives with student government in the future.
In other business, the College of Education, Health and Human Sciences has had a vacancy in its cabinet for two weeks, said SGA President Matt Rolwing. Austin Borden applied for the open senator position and attended the meeting in hopes to be elected.
After a brief deliberation period, Borden was named senator.
Borden said he hopes to better his knowledge about Southeast and listen to what students are saying during his term.
SGA holds meetings every Monday on the fourth floor of the University Center at 8 p.m.