- Street photographer Ryan LaRose beautifies downtown Cape Girardeau one TikTok at a time (4/25/22)
- Effects of Number 5: “How Albert Pujols’ homecoming has inspired on one of SEMO’s biggest sluggers” (5/10/22)
- Department of Criminal Justice, Social Work and Sociology: Preparing students for real-life work in the field (5/9/22)
- Board of Governors moves to approve curriculum changes, Honors House changes; discusses Houck stadium design (5/13/22)
- Le Lounge opening in downtown Cape, to include live music and bar (4/25/22)
Southeast announces changes to Fall 2020 Commencement
Southeast Missouri State University announced revised plans for Fall 2020 commencement, which include in-person events and the inclusion of Spring and Summer 2020 graduates.
Fall Commencement was rescheduled from its original Dec. 19 date to Nov. 21 to better align with the conclusion of in-person classes. In-person instruction will end Nov. 24 and will begin remotely Nov. 30, concluding with online final exams.
For Spring and Summer 2020 graduates, the originally-planned, in-person commencement was cancelled due to increasing COVID-19 concerns. These graduates will have the opportunity to return to campus for in-person commencement Nov. 14.
“The challenges brought on by the pandemic are like none before faced, but our students have remained resilient, and we are excited to acknowledge their spirit and accomplishments,” Southeast President Dr. Carlos Vargas said in a Southeast News statement. “Many of our spring and summer graduates expressed interest in their own ceremony, something we were unfortunately unable to do in May, but are committed to hosting this November. We are looking forward to welcoming them back to campus and to honor their achievements.”
Commencement will still take place in the Show-Me Center with some changes from previous years. All commencement ceremonies will be livestreamed. Anyone who plans to attend in-person will be expected to social distance and wear a face covering.
Details about commencement times, regalia and speakers have not been released, but updates are expected in the coming weeks.