- Experience provides edge for Connor Basler (4/6/21)
- Southeast athlete arrested on charges of alleged rape (4/7/21)
- After nearly 50 years, Geraldine Harris achieves dream of bachelor’s degree (4/6/21)
- Southeast alums work to keep local businesses afloat (4/5/21)
- CFSA collects pajamas for the Safe House for Women (4/2/21)
Southeast athlete arrested on charges of alleged rape
Freshman track and field athlete Michael Jenkins was arrested on charges of alleged first-degree rape or attempted rape on March 26, according to court documents.
He was taken into police custody shortly after 1 a.m. on March 28, according to the Cape Girardeau Sheriff's Office.
“When university officials became aware of the arrest warrant, officials worked with the police department to arrange for the student-athlete to be taken into custody,” university communications director Kathy Harper stated.
Jenkins has been suspended from Southeast athletic teams pending an investigation, Harper stated.
His initial arraignment was scheduled for 2:30 p.m. on Monday, March 29. He is being held on a $50,000 cash-only bond with conditions.
According to court documents, an unknown party was given a one-year order of protection against Jenkins on March 18.