- Le Lounge opening in downtown Cape, to include live music and bar (4/25/22)
- Board of Governors moves to approve curriculum changes; discusses Houck stadium design and Honors House relocation (5/13/22)
- Street photographer Ryan LaRose beautifies downtown Cape Girardeau one TikTok at a time (4/25/22)
- The Re-Download: Behind the vicious cycle of deleting and redownloading dating apps (5/4/22)
- Underage users on Grindr: The importance of community for LGBTQ+ youth (5/4/22)
First Off the Shelf: The Selection
Do you ever wish you lived in another world? I mean like really – who wouldn’t?
One of the biggest questions I get asked is: “If you could go into any book world which you would go into.”
Man, if that isn't the hardest question.
I have so many different answers. I want to live in the action-packed life of a tribute in the Hunger Games, just want to see how far I would get, or the life as a pure-blood wizard or the life of a royal. So this week, I wanted to be a princess, so I read what was my all time favorite book in highschool: “The Selection” by Kiera Cass.
Let's break this one down because I have read it more times than ANY other book. That is saying something for me. I usually read a book three times at most, but this book was a pivotal point for me. I realized there could be action in a romance book, but also make it dystopian.
PLUS there were ball gowns on all the book covers. It was my ultimate cup of tea.
The book series reminded me a lot of “The Bachelor.” In the book, 35 girls – picked at random – are selected to compete for the hand of the beautiful blonde prince to be his wife and the eventual queen. Like all good young adult books, the main character already has a lover and would NEVER get feelings for a handsome prince. There is a love triangle and, as cliche as that is, I love it.
The story follows America Singer as she navigates her time in the castle while in the competition to be the princess of Illéa. It also explores the story of America and Maxon as they discover who they are as individuals, and who they are together.
Be on the lookout for the rumored movie that is coming to Netflix. If you have read this series, who is your “fancast” for America, Maxon and Aspen? I have mine for sure! Tell me your opinions on Twitter @_anlunsford.