- Southeast professor’s cat rises to internet fame (9/23/21)
- The cult following of tote bags (9/24/21)
- Slow Food Southeast Missouri’s cause for homegrown food and self-made community (9/24/21)
- SEMO District Fair comes to town, bringing the best fair food (9/21/21)
- Shipyard Music Festival brings live music, food and entertainment to SEMO community (9/22/21)
NCAA votes for a mandatory off day on Election Night
NCAA’s Student Athletic Advisory Committee voted in September to take Election day off and have a mandatory off day for all NCAA athletics.
Southeast junior and SAAC President Anna Griffin spoke on behalf of the NCAA about the mandatory off day.
“This is huge because it allows athletes to go home and vote,” Griffin said.
There was no athletically-related countable activity including film, conditioning, practices, weights or anything in between.
Southeast SAAC took matters into their own hands by giving easy access to Southeast athletes to view information of their state by including a link on the athletic website.
“We have a link on the athletic website at gosoutheast.com to all 50 states and all information on voting registration, who's running in your state,” Griffin said.
Griffin, a member of the Southeast softball team encouraged her teammates to use their voice and vote.
SAAC held a voting seminar to help and instruct athletes on how to fill out their absentee ballots correctly. Women’s basketball head coach Rekha Patterson made an appearance and encouraged athletes to use their right to vote.