- Le Lounge opening in downtown Cape, to include live music and bar (4/25/22)
- Board of Governors moves to approve curriculum changes; discusses Houck stadium design and Honors House relocation (5/13/22)
- Street photographer Ryan LaRose beautifies downtown Cape Girardeau one TikTok at a time (4/25/22)
- The Re-Download: Behind the vicious cycle of deleting and redownloading dating apps (5/4/22)
- Underage users on Grindr: The importance of community for LGBTQ+ youth (5/4/22)
Military and Veterans Services host Freedom 5K for Veterans Day
Southeast's Military and Veterans Services is hosting its first Freedom 5K to celebrate Veterans Day on Sunday, November 4.
Katie Friese, Graduate assistant for the Military and Veterans Office Services said the main objective of the Freedom 5K is to celebrate the veterans and display their support through an appreciative community.
"There isn't an added benefit of SEMO students going to the event besides being able to show that they support other students just like they would go to a sorority or fraternity event. They should want to show support to people who have served their country and that sit beside of them in classes," Friese said.
Registration cost is $20, and the first 100 participants will get a goodie bag along with a T-shirt.
The fastest three runners will be awarded medals.
The graduate assistant said last year, $3,500 was spent on a lunch which only a few people showed up to. To turn things around, this year's initiative will include community members from all age groups.
Anyone unable to participate in the 5K run, but would still like to contribute to the cause has the option to do a one-mile walk.
Friese said the route will start and end at the Recreation Center.
The registration link is available on the Facebook event page.